Here comes spring…
At the onset of spring before active growth begins:
- Too early for most cultural treatments and nutrition with major elements, regular applications of seaweed with available humic acid and liquid iron return vigour and colour to tired-looking greens.
- Surface water is always a concern to the sports turf consultant. From where is the water originating and where does it end up – what can be done to divert or prevent collection. At this stage planning remedial works is invaluable.
- Drainage performance must be judged – where there is demand for improvement and the budget permits specialist consultant expertise is warranted and there must be allowance of time for recuperation after required installation is completed.
- Spring renovation plans should be well underway and the Sports Turf Consultant should be well aware of the time needed before re-commencement of play on the pitches and golf course.
- Control of use and a planned maintenance programme are vital in the early days after renovation.